Sunday 2 December 2007

Opportunities can change your life.

I am a member of a local Youth Forum and I know, that sounds like the nerdiest thing in the entire world, but it is one of the best things in my life right now.

Last year, I had the opportunity to take part in a one week long Trainee Leadership course. From this course, I gained a qualification, more confidence and new friends. It has since, been one of the many things that I am thankful to have in my life.

I also had the opportunity to go to Berlin for 4 days, in November, to take part in some workshops there in co-operation with a German youth group. We had such an amazing time there and ever since have vowed to go back. And even moreso, we have remained part of our youth forum.

In may this year, we also had the opportunity to organize and run a Formal for the youth of the east of our city. It was an amazing experience, and although stressful, we pulled it off and everyone managed to have a fantastic time, including us.

We had planned to do Halloween and Christmas events, although we did not have enough time to organise the Halloween one and Christmas is fast approaching so we are not sure how this is going to pan out.

However, just this past weekend, the Berlin Youth Group came to my city and we toured them around, took them to museums, shopping, ice skating and basically gave them the good time that they gave us. I had such a good time with them and I actually felt, part of something wonderful. I felt like I had achieved something.

And you are probably wondering what this has all got to do with opportunities and how they can change your life. Well, to be honest, I know most of you in this city, would turn your noses up at the smallest opportunity to become part of a youth group because you'd rather wander the cold cold streets and throw bricks at people, that's fine, that's your choice. But if there is any doubt, whatsoever, in your mind and you, even just for a second, contemplate joining the group when you are offered to. Then you should.

If you never take the opportunities that are thrown at you, then you may never know what you could have been, could have done, what could have become of you and you become of what. You could have met some amazing people, gone to some amazing places, done some amazing things, achieved new and more qualifications that will help you in the future, but if you don't take the opportunity, then you will never know. I'll be honest, when I was offered the opportunity to join this youth forum, I did have my doubts, but now, I wouldn't change anything for the world.

And to any of you, the German group, the youth forum, if you ever happen, to just stumble across this page and realize that I am talking about you, then take heed, because I want to thank you, for making the youth forum what it is and for making a difference, even if it was just small, in my life. You have made me part of who I am today and for that, I appreciate everything that happens.

So next time, any of you are thrown an opportunity like mine, just say yes, what harm can it do.

Opportunities really can change your life.

No comments: