Wednesday 20 February 2008

Never-Ending Drama.

[Note: For the purposes of this blog, all names have been changed.]

Every relationship I’ve gone into has had some kind of drama before it. For example, my first relationship started a few days after Joe’s best friend ran up to me and said “JOE FANCIES YOU!” right in my face.

My second started after he came back from a religious festival and I told him how I had felt for a long time and he was a bit like “Whoa, you should have told me!” Although that’s not really drama, the drama was that everybody else hated him and didn’t want me to go out with him.

My third relationship started 12 hours after my 2nd finished and involved drama because I had screamed and yelled at my 2nd guy for breaking my trust. The other drama was that we decided not to tell anybody about it until Christmas (this was October) and everybody was getting slightly paranoid and suspicious.

My fourth wasn’t a relationship, more of a snog session because we were both slightly intoxicated.

And then we come to my fifth. The drama with this one was, I met him online and we hadn’t met before, but we had this kind of debate/argument and were about to walk out on each other. So then I turned up at the same place he was and he nearly had a heart attack. To say the least, if I had a picture of his face when he saw me, you’d be wetting yourself right about now.

My point is, everything that seems significant in my life, and we can’t deny that relationships are, seems to have had some kind of drama, some kind of major event that happens before something starts. Something ends and something soon after begins.

This reminds me of something that David Mitchell wrote in his book, Black Swan Green, that I think is quite true, and somewhat relevant:

The world won't leave things be. It's always injecting endings into beginnings. Leaves tweezer themselves from these weeping willows. Leaves fall into the lake and dissolve into slime. Where's the sense in that... The world never stops unmaking what the world never stops making. But who says the world has to make sense?”

I have to say, David Mitchell really did capture it in a sentence. And I agree with him. It’s a bit like the saying ‘With every closing door there is an opening window’. Every-time something ends, something else begins. It makes logical sense. For example, if a TV programme ends, adverts begin (yeah, that was a bad example but you get the point).

I’ve discovered that every time something in my life ends and something new begins, something smashes. For example, I had a glass rose once upon a time (and it was lovely!) but when my 2nd relationship ended and my third one began, it just fell and broke in half. When my 5th relationship began, a glass was smashed. Maybe it’s representative of the smashing time that people had with me, and the smashing time the new people are going to have. (Yes, that was a joke).

I’ve kind of gone off point. My point is, drama seems to follow me! I know that sounds really stupid, but I do worry about it. I know I’m still quite young and that the ‘teenage drama’ (I’m 18…) years might not quite be over. But I wonder, does the drama ever end? Or does it just transmigrate into a different form as we grow up? Does the ‘teenage drama’ turn into ‘adult drama’? I.e. does the drama about boyfriends become drama about husbands? Does the drama about schoolwork turn into the office work? Does the drama about not having any money to go out turn into not having any money to pay the bills?

In effect, does drama just transmigrate from one thing to another? Or do we ever finally get rid of it? Are we destined to be dramatists forever? Or do we grow up and let the drama fade away? If life is a play, then we’re all actors/actresses and the drama of our lives is the drama of the play. In a play, the drama ends when the play does. So in life, does the drama end when we do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I am finding that drama never goes away... my parents have always told me that 'teenage drama' just turns into 'adult drama' really. Just got to avoid it the best you can I suppose... although it still seems to follow me around as well, no matter how hard I try to get away from it!

Rachel said...

Agreed. I mistakenly thought that after high school the drama would be gone. It isn't. It's always going to be there. Sadly.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes to all of the questions it all translates into adult hood. Also to make matters worse when u have teenagers urself their dramas r also ur dramas so u have twice as many.lol But its all good.
Love u Mummsy