Monday 4 August 2008

Music Unites The Masses

Have you ever noticed, how two completely different people can like exactly the same song for two completely different reasons? And those two people can deduce different meanings from the one song. Although many songs have one obvious meaning, to someone somewhere there will always be many interpretations to one song and they will take the meaning and relate it to whatever is going on their own lives right that moment.

We all have those songs that we can relate to specific moments, or people, or places in our lives. I myself have a few such as 3 Doors Down - Here Without you and Lonestar- Baby I'm amazed by you and also The Waterboys - The Whole of the Moon. Although they are quite lovey-dovey songs, there are other songs, such as Voodoo Child which I can relate to my summer a few years ago. I find it amazing that the singers/artists/bands can make music that many people can relate to, or that can describe exactly the feelings and/or emotions that someone else in the world is going through. In saying that, I suppose a lot of us have felt a similar emotion to the one in the song at some point in our lives. But it just amazes me how music can make us feel better, or worse, or relate to our lives in ways we never imagined.

I've never been to a music festival but I have attended some concerts in my time and I got to thinking. Each concert has sold over a thousand tickets, which means over a thousand people like the same music, for similar and different reasons. And those people appreciate what those artists are doing, they can relate, or they just enjoy listening to the music and that's what makes it so good. I love finding songs that I can relate to or that are inspiring and meaningful, although they may be this to me, to other people they may be strange or not up to their music taste. Isn't it strange how there are so many different kinds of music and all of it can relate to somebody somewhere in the world?

All I know is, music seems to be a thing that brings people together, for example, at concerts, at music festivals and even in pubs, clubs and bars. And I really appreciate the fact that people can enjoy the music together even if they don't get on as friends, or as people. And to be totally cliche, I'm going to quote Abba and say, Thank you for the music, for the song's I'm singing, for all the joy they're bringing....yeah you get my point, haha. So, if you have any songs you want to share, or songs that you feel I would enjoy or be able to relate to, I'm open for suggestions. You can leave a comment or mail me at the address given on the sidebar, or better yet, subscribe using the Google box also on the sidebar! I'll be ever so grateful :P

1 comment:

dr. adder said...

Thought this comment might be more appropriate on this post.


Apologies for hijacking the comments to this post – but are you aware of the Belfast Jazz and Blues Festival being held this month? I don’t think it’s getting much publicity so I scanned a flier on to my blog for anyone who might be interested.