Saturday 15 November 2008

Yes, It's Sad But...

There isn't much you can do about it. When friends make decisions to go away for University, or to take a gap year and travel the world, of course you're going to be sad. Yes, you are allowed to cry and mourn their departure, but eventually, you have to get over it.

I was at a leaving party for a girl who's moving away to Australia last night and all her girly friends and her were crying their hearts out, singing cheesy karaoke songs at each other and hugging each other for dear life. It was heartwarming and heart-wrenching because you know that this girl is leaving behind an entire life that she's spent years building.

It kind of made me sad though. No-one ever threw me a leaving party. I know that I come back every weekend, but it doesn't mean it that it's any less or more difficult for me. I live away from home for most of my week now, I'm actually at home about two days (one entire full one and two halves). It hurts me too, to know that I can't fully participate in my friends lives anymore, I'm barely aware of what goes on during the week even if its nothing exciting.

I'm not going to put down my Uni experience though, because it has been fun as well as dramatic. I figured though, that maybe it's too hard to have a leaving party. It breaks your heart watching the final goodbyes. Maybe my friends and I aren't good at dealing with goodbyes, not that it was a goodbye as I do come back. I guess it's easier for us to pretend that it's all okay because we see each other every weekend and I guess it is. There is a big difference between Coleraine and Australia.

I don't know. I guess my leaving party will be when I decide to move 5000 miles across the world and it'll be a day when we all have to accept that I'm not coming back. I guess we all have different ways of dealing with what our friends choose to do with our lives. It's not all bad either, my friends are coming to join me at University next year. It's not like we can all decide to up and move to Australia together.

Anyway, I'm going to stop myself from feeling sad and wish you all the best wherever in the world you choose to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u party every weekend. lol yes the reason we didnt have a leaving party was cause we didnt want to say goodbye. Thats hard enough every weekend. Suggest you have a New Year Party. They have been short supply this year. Hollywood was the last one if I remember. cya. xxxxxxxxxxx
ur maww